1. Production Pipeline: Overview
Topic: This video outlines the high level overview of our entire film, commercials and visual effects production pipeline from master layout to individual shot creation.
- Video: Production Pipeline Overview: 2:51 min
- Slides: Follow along slides
- Note: When a new sequence is created (i.e. Previs) a "master_layout" folder and blank file are already created for you to start working with.
2. Texture Ready Process: Overview
Topic: This video outlines the process of switching a model from using in-progress/lowres textures to a final published asset.
3. Texture Ready Process: Walkthrough
Topic: This video is a step-by-step demo of how to switch an asset to use the "published" set of textures, instead of the "in progress" version quickly by using a text editor’s find and replace feature.
- Video: Texture Ready Walkthrough: 3:16 min
4. Render Ready Process: Overview
Topic: We define Render Ready as the process by which you have two versions of an asset: one for animation, and one for lighting and rendering. Having these two versions keeps the animation version nice and light to work with for animators. This video outlines the workflow for that process.
5. Lighting Assembly Process: Overview
Topic: The assembly process is a workflow by which you do a "clean up pass" on an animator’s shot to ensure lighter’s have a clean file to work with. This process utilizes Alembic geo caching. In this first video we look at the overall assembly process and workflow.
6. Lighting Assembly Process: Walkthrough Part 1 - Export Shader Network
Topic: The assembly workflow we’ve outlined requires that the shader network for each asset be exported, to be used later down the line. This video steps you through that process using Maya. If using this workflow, it is recommended that the surfacing artist be tasked with the creation of this file once all shaders have been finaled.
- Video: Lighting and Assembly Walkthrough - Part 1: 2:20 min
7. Lighting Assembly Process: Walkthrough Part 2 - Export Geo Cache
Topic: In this video we walk through the process of exporting alembic cache files for each asset within an animated shot.
- Video: Lighting and Assembly Walkthrough - Part 2: 2:29 min
8. Lighting Assembly Process: Walkthrough Part 3 - Geo Cache Surface Assignment
Topic: The alembic export loses all shader assignments. In this step we re-assign the shaders that were generated in part 1.
- Video: Lighting and Assembly Walkthrough - Part 3: 4:08 min
9. Lighting Assembly Process: Walkthrough Part 4 - Lighting Assembly
Topic: In this video we bring all cleaned up assets into the shot's lighting file. We reference the geo surface files we generated in part 3.
- Video: Lighting and Assembly Walkthrough - Part 4: 1:40 min
10. Lighting Assembly Process: Walkthrough Part 5 - Fix Animation
Topic: This video outlines how to handle and manage animation fixes after a shot has gone into lighting.
- Video: Lighting and Assembly Walkthrough - Part 5: 2:43 min